2018 Visual Arts Contest
- To provide a different venue for greater Houston area artists to explore, create, and express their talents on visual media related to music;
- To expand the dimension of music through the visual art form.
We will accept entries from artists aged 18 and under who live within a 75-mile radius of the downtown Houston area. Entries will be classified in four different groups based on the artist's year in school:
- Group A: Grades 9-12
- Group B: Grades 6-8
- Group C: Grades 3-5
- Group D: Grades 2 or under
Awards / Winners
There will be one to three winners from each group depending on the level of the entries. All art works will be displayed at Shepherd School of Music, Rice University during the HYAC Concert on Saturday, January 13, 2018
Rules and Specifications
- Entry deadline: Saturday, December 10, 2017 at 5pm
- All art works must be original; reproductions or copies will be disqualified. Limited to three entries per person.
Entries must be of a subject matter that pertains to anything music related.
We suggest that you consider the following options
(a) Colors of music
(b) Present your favorite genre of music
(c) Express a favorite scene of a play, an Opera or a concert
- All types of visual art media are welcomed (e.g. pencil, watercolor, oil on canvas, collage, sculpture, block print, mixed media, photography, etc.)
- HYAC reserves the right to copy, print, and publish all the artwork entered into the contest.
- All artwork will be released on/after January 13th 2018. The best time to pick up artwork is after the HYAC Concert on January 13th. Earlier dates/times/locations may also be arranged. Work that is not picked up by January 13th will become the property of HYAC.
- Mandatory Dress Rehearsal (Winners only): If you have been notified as a winner, please plan to attend a mandatory dress rehearsal on Saturday, January 13, 2017 at Rice University. Dress Rehearsal Agenda: TBA
- Concert Day: All contestant's artwork(s) will be displayed. Your family, friends, and teachers are invited to come to the pre-concert gathering and the concert! Teachers are eligible for a complimentary ticket (upon request).
Dress Code: All contestants please wear appropriate concert attire for professional photography session on the day of the concert.
- Boys - buttoned-down shirt with tie, slacks, dress shoes
- Girls - appropriate dress/length, heels
Please include the $35 fee*, the entry form (per each entry) plus your work before or on Sunday, December 10th, 2017 at 5pm. (Checks should be made payable to the “Houston Young Artists Concert-VAC”). Entry forms need to be attached to the back of each entry. Mail or drop off forms and artwork at one of the following addresses:
- Chienling Lee, 713-202-6946, 3764 Ingold Street Houston, TX 77005**
- Joanna Lee, 713-827-1116, 10906 Burgoyne Road Houston, TX 77042**
- Peggy Chiu, 713-502-7769, 12625 Memorial Drive, Suite #149, Houston, TX 77024**
Winners will be required to frame their winning art work. If you have been notified as a winner and will not be in town before January 13th, 2018, please consider framing your artwork(s) before submitting. Please make arrangements or HYAC has the right to frame your artwork and charge a framing fee.
If you have any questions, please contact us or call 713-202-6946 (Chienling Lee), 713-502-7769 (Peggy Chiu) or 713-827-1116 (Joanna Lee).
List of Winners will be available on line (www.hyac.org) at around December 5th, 2018
*Fee exemption available, please inquire.
**Please call to set up drop off date and time